Suite https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-53605108Rodrigo Duterte: 'I'm not joking - clean masks with petrol'
Philippines' president Rodrigo Duterte has once again told people to disinfect their face masks with petrol - insisting he was "not joking".
He had made similar remarks last week - but officials were quick to correct him, and suggested it was a joke.
Health officials also said cloths masks should be washed normally, and surgical masks replaced after use.
But on Friday, the president doubled down - saying "what I've said was true... go to a gasoline station".
There is no evidence that gasoline can disinfect masks; having prolonged contact with it can be harmful; and pouring flammable liquids can be a fire risk.
What did Mr Duterte say?
Referring to his earlier comments, Mr Duterte said: "They [critics] said, 'Duterte's insane.' Stupid! If I'm insane, you should be the president, not me.
"What I've said was true. If alcohol isn't available, especially for the poor, just go to a gasoline station, and use [gas] to disinfect.
"I am not joking. I am not joking. You… you try to get inside my brain."
What did he say last week?
Mr Duterte said those who didn't have cleaning supplies could use gasoline as a disinfectant to clean their masks.
"At the end of the day, hang [the mask] somewhere and spray it with Lysol if you can afford it," he said, referencing a popular disinfectant brand.
"For people who don't [have Lysol], drench it in gasoline or diesel... just find some gasoline [and] dip your hand [with the mask] in it."
After last week's comments, presidential spokesman Harry Roque quickly corrected him.
"I can't believe that after four years of him as president, you still don't know [him]," said Mr Roque, according to news site Rappler.
"[It's only a] joke. Why would we use gasoline for washing?"
Meanwhile, health official Maria Rosario Vergeire said cloth masks should be washed and dried normally, and surgical masks replaced after use.
In February - shortly after the Philippines became the first country to register a Covid-19 death outside China - President Duterte moved to downplay the issue, saying the virus would eventually "die a natural death."
But after a month-long lull in recorded cases - a period which critics say wasn't used effectively to mass test and contact trace cases - numbers began to rise.
President Duterte declared the lockdown of the country's main island Luzon in early March.
He used special powers granted to him by Congress to realign national budgets and put soldiers on the streets to tackle the crisis.
To do so, he was required to update the nation each week with a national address.
The president made the addresses late at night. He was often late to start, and was criticised on social media for being rambling and confusing, and at times veering off topic to threaten his enemies.
Mr Duterte's former spokesman, Harry Roque, was brought back to manage the message - and the evening addresses began to be edited and released the following morning.
A YouGov online survey found that Filipinos who rated the Duterte government's response to the virus as "very well" or "somewhat well" fell from 72% in May to 51% on 29 June.
Filipino pollsters - who have repeatedly recorded Str0ng approval ratings for the President - haven't been able to do door-to-door surveys during the outbreak.
Although compared to other Covid-19 global hotspots, the Philippines' numbers of recorded cases and deaths are lower, so too are testing figures - with only around 1% of the population screened so far.
Bonjour Lafoy,Globalement nous ne sommes pas sortis de l'auberge !
Bonjour ChrisBonjour Lafoy,
Il semblerait que l'objectif de la Chine soit "0 cas" (comme c'est le cas, dans une certaine mesure pour Taiwan, la Corée du Sud, HK, le Vietnam,...)
Si tel est le cas, tant qu'il y aura des cas actifs dans un pays (voire au monde), il ne pourront pas laisser entrer sur le territoire (tout au moins sans quarantaine) le moindre ressortissant de ce pays (ou ayant voyagé dans ce pays, voire le moindre étranger).
Et cela au moins tant qu'il n'y aura pas de traitement / vaccin disponible. (on peut penser qu'ils exigeront une vaccination lorsqu'un vaccin sera disponible)
L'objectif d'autres pays (en Europe, par exemple) n'est pas d'atteindre à tout prix 0 cas, mais plutôt de contenir le nombre de cas à un niveau gérable (ne pas saturer les hôpitaux, éviter la croissance exponentielle, limiter les décès à un niveau acceptable ...)
Les 2 stratégies ont leurs avantages et inconvénients, et il est difficile de dire quelle est la meilleure. Mais il apparaît que les 2 approches ne sont pas vraiment compatibles.
Alors que HK a connu 23 jours sans aucun cas local du 20 avril au 13 mai, seulement 15 cas locaux du 13 mai au 13 juin, 21 jours sans aucun cas local du 14 juin au 5 juillet, jamais le mainland n'a autorisé l’entrée en Chine (sauf quelques exceptions, et avec 15 jours de quarantaine).
On se demande quelles conditions devront être réunies pour que la Chine commence à ouvrir ses frontières.
Hong Kong third wave: free Covid-19 tests for residents as mainland Chinese clinical teams head to city
- Sixty lab technicians from public hospitals in Guangdong province will be picked for Hong Kong stint
- Separate team of experts expected to soon begin work at temporary hospital at expo site
Free Covid-19 testing will be made available to Hong Kong’s 7.5 million residents and about 60 clinical technicians from mainland China will be sent to help, with seven set to arrive on Sunday.
Four health advisers, however, suggested at a government meeting on Saturday that testing should focus on high-risk groups, rather than across the city, which was not cost-effective without a lockdown, sources told the Post.
Details of the mass testing were revealed by state broadcaster CCTV and the national health authorities a day after the cabinet-level Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office said Beijing would send help to Hong Kong following a request from local authorities.
China’s National Health Commission, which revealed details of the testing offer in a statement, also said another team of six experts from Wuhan, where the first Covid-19 cases were reported, would help Hong Kong authorities develop a temporary “cabin hospital”, as the city’s medical facilities were stretched to the limit.
CCTV reported on Saturday that the central government would “do its utmost” to help Hong Kong battle the outbreak.
Citing unidentified sources, the broadcaster said Covid-19 nucleic tests would be free for all residents and the central government would shoulder the fees.
The test teams would remain in Hong Kong until the epidemic was under control and transmission chains cut off, the report said.
A priori, HK a laissé un bateau infesté faire escale. Les passagers sont resté genre une journée à Hong Kong et voila le résultat.Explications possibles : relâchement des mesures de distanciation sociale, souche/variante de virus plus contagieuse, plus agressive ?
Curieux! Je n’ai rien lu ou vu sur les modalités pratiques, la manière dont ces tests vont être organisés, gérés.Pour renforcer la collaboration, le chef de l'exécutif, Mme Carrie Lam, a donné des instructions claires sur la manière de lancer des tests de dépistage du virus à grande échelle lors de la réunion interne du comité directeur anti-épidémique qui s'est tenue hier après-midi (1er août).
Il semblerait que Hong Kong et Pékin ne soient pas très optimistes sur l’évolution de la vague actuelle de Covid-19 à HK.Petite vidéo de cet hôpital temporaire qui ouvre aujourd'hui :
Source : https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong...g-kong-third-wave-prioritise-high-risk-groupsThe city is planning the construction of a second temporary hospital with the help of a six-member team from Wuhan, where the first Covid-19 cases emerged in December, due to arrive soon. The facility, which can provide up to 2,000 beds, will be similar to the “fangcang hospitals” rapidly constructed to handle Covid-19 patients when the Hubei province capital was struggling with the pandemic.
That team will consist of four medics and two construction specialists, including the president and vice-president of a fangcang hospital in Wuchang district. Mainland media said the team might stay in the city for half a year, mainly assisting with building the facility and not treating patients.
Chan said the temporary facility would be build from scratch to complement a makeshift facility at AsiaWorld-Expo to cope with jump in infections, which has stretched health care facilities to the limit.
It was not clear how long construction would take, she said. Officials must confirm the location and discuss planning with the team from Wuhan.
Il semblerait qu’après 12 jours à plus de 100 nouveaux cas quotidiens, on repasse aujourd'hui sous la barre de 100 (prévision de 80 cas pour aujourd’hui).C'est le 5eme jour avec plus de 100 nouveaux cas quotidiens.
Source https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong...hong-kong-third-wave-death-toll-climbs-sourceHong Kong third wave: city expected to snap 12-day streak of 100-plus new infections, but death toll continues to climb
Hong Kong was expected to break its 12-day streak of 100-plus new Covid-19 infections on Monday, with around 80 confirmed cases, according to a medical source, as two more patients died.
- Elderly man died at Tuen Mun Hospital and elderly woman at Queen Elizabeth Hospital
- Medical sources say 80 confirmed cases expected as number of fatalities hits 37
En attendant,The second temporary hospital, Asian World Forum Community Treatment Facilities, will be established with the help of a six-member team from Wuhan. It was likely to be built on a 570,000 sq ft site originally reserved for a major Phase Two expansion of the exhibition centre, the source said.
Further details, including the number of beds to be provided, were subject to discussions between the mainland Chinese experts and the government, but it was expected to provide isolation wards.
The first makeshift hospital, located inside AsiaWorld-Expo, opened on Saturday.
According to a hospital source, about 400 beds arrived in Hong Kong from Shenzhen on Sunday night, and would be used at the hospital.
“We thank the mainland government for their staunch support, managing to source 400 bed sets at the Hospital Authority’s request within 48 hours,” Henry Fan Hung-ling, the Hospital Authority’s chairman, said.
“They even offered the supply as a donation to HA in our pandemic fight. We greatly appreciated their help.”
He also expressed gratitude to Beijing’s liaison office, which helped coordinate the effort with authorities in Shenzhen.